Charles M. Read Merit Scholarship
The Charles M. Read Scholarship may be awarded to a member of the senior class from one of the Montgomery County Public, Independent or Private High Schools. The minimum amount of this cash grant, which is presented in May of each year, is $2,000.00. Two criteria govern selection: high academic achievement and demonstrated leadership and service in school, church and/or community. To be eligible for consideration, an applicant must:
- Possess a minimum of 3.5 grade point average (bases on a 4.0 scale) as of the end of the student’s junior year in high school, certified by a school administrator or counselor.
- Present a composite ACT score of 28, or a combination of SAT verbal and mathematical which correlate to an ACT score of 28, certified by the school administrator.
- An official school transcript, updated to include grades and activities recorded through the end of winter semester of the current academic year.
Complete an application form and letter/essay, to be accompanied by the documents listed and received by the Tuesday, March 28.
To remain eligible, the winner of this award must provide the Capital City Kiwanis Foundation evidence of high school graduation from a Montgomery County Public School, Independent or Private High School with a campus in Montgomery County, evidence of acceptance and admission to any accredited four-year college or university within the United States before August 1 of the current year. A check in the amount of no less than $2,000.00 will be made payable jointly to the award winner and the college or university, for use in meeting the cost of tuition, books and room and board.
Applicants will be judged solely on evidence of academic and leadership achievement without regard to race, creed or sex. Every applicant will be acknowledged; finalist may be asked to appear for a personal interview with the selection committee.
Read Merit List of Eligible Schools:
- Any Montgomery County Public High School
- Any SACS-accredited Independent or Private High School with a campus in Montgomery County